Thursday, October 6, 2016

Getting an IDT position and Succeeding at It

Many of you already have a job in the field or in a related field; however, based on this week’s readings, you’ll reflect on where you are, where you want to go, and what you need to learn or do to get there. Begin your post for this week with some background: what is your current job, what program are you enrolled in, what brings you to that program, and what do you expect when you graduate (change jobs? obtain a promo, etc.). Next, describe the kind of work that you want to do and the type of organization or institution in which you want to work. Based on these chapters, briefly describe what your strong competencies are and what areas you want/need to improve, and explain what you need to learn. Then, discuss how you will obtain the skills you need through this degree program (Will you obtain the skills you need in the required courses in your program? What electives might you need to take to help you develop skills specific to your aspirations?)

Since graduating in 2004, I have worked for my family business.  I had considered going in a different direction but, at the time the pharmacy was short handed and it just made sense to fill in for a while.  12 years later, I am still there.  I wear a lot of hats at work including front-end manager, payroll, and sometimes I fill in as a pharmacy technician.  I have always known that this is not what I wanted to do forever.  So, I finally took the time to apply to graduate school.  I am pursuing a Master's degree Educational Technology and Library Science.  I plan on getting a teaching certificate and eventually becoming a school librarian.  At this point, I do not know what type of school I would like to work at.  I would enjoy helping elementary students learn to love reading.  But, I have always loved research....this would mean working at a high school.  This is only my second semester in graduate school.  I know I have a lot left to learn.  I hope that the remaining classes that I have to take will better prepare me for my future job.  I also hope that knowing current librarians will help me to know what to expect.  First thing is first....I need to graduate and get a teaching job.  Most librarian jobs I have seen require at least 2 years in the classroom before becoming a librarian.
Finally, what organizations would best support your continued learning after you graduate? Do you think you would benefit from joining those organizations before graduating? Explain why or why not? How will knowledge gained from these chapters apply to your career planning above and beyond what you are learning from your graduate study?
After doing a little research on organizations in my field, I think it would be beneficial to join the Texas Library Association.  The website txla.org states that it has over 7000 member and has been in existence since 1902.  TLA has conferences, interest groups, and committees to participate in.  I think that starting out as a volunteer would be a great way to network and learn a lot.  Although, it may be beneficial to join the organization before I graduate, I feel like I should wait a bit.  I prefer to know that I am bringing something to the table.  I would want to be a librarian first.  I would like to subscribe to a library publication such as the School Library Journal to start looking at now.
 I feel like these chapters were really helpful and encouraging when it comes to the job search.  I would want to re-read the chapters and double check my resume to make sure all of the important facts are there.  The section on preparing for the job interview was helpful....having worked for my family, I've only been interviewed for jobs during college. I probably need some work. =)

3 comments:

  1. Another good place to network is through these classes. I have stayed in contact with some folks in previous classes and traded lesson ideas, stories, and frustrations and it has helped me out a lot. I have also met some good teacher friends at professional development workshops as well. Social media is also useful source, especially LinkedIn and Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Arthur. This past summer i spent quite a bit of time attending and presenting at conferences. i did notice that i would follow some one twitter and vice a versa.
    i have learned from the people on social media and at conferences. However not currently looking for another position, it is hard to get a clear picture of what networking to get a job would look like.

    ReplyDelete