Thursday, September 29, 2016

Trends/Issues

1. Chapters in Section V identify trends and issues in IDT in various contexts: business & industry; military; health care education; P-12 education; and post-secondary education. Select 2 of these 5 contexts and compare/contrast the IDT trends and issues. Then describe how knowledge of IDT trends and issues you captured from those two fields can better inform your work. 

 I chose to read chapters discussing technology used in health care education and P-12 education.  I found out that there is so much technology used to teach students in the health care fields.  This includes using the computer for simulations for training or strapping on an arm to practice giving injections.  I was shocked by the advances in technology for the health care field.  Technology affords students the opportunity to learn in so many ways.  This is important because of the risk factor involved with health professions.  While health care education uses technology to the greatest extent, the book points out how it is not being taken advantage of in P-12 education.  Technology could be used in P-12 education to help teach 21st century skills including information and communication technology literacy.  Unfortunately, implementing the technology into the classrooms has not been 100% successful.

After reading about the trends in the classroom, I think that it better prepares me, a future educator, to pay closer attention when it comes to implementing technology.  I want to make it the most educational experience for the students as possible.

  2. Chapters in Section VI discuss global trends and issues in IDT. What have you learned from the selected chapter and how can/will it enhance your teaching? In a global and more connected society, we face unprecedented challenges that have implications for learning. How and can we prepare our youth to develop cultural sensitivity when working with people from the another (or your selected) region? Does our current education system, curriculum, and instructional practices help learners foster the skills necessary to tackle these issues? What can be done in your role?

I chose to reach chapter 25 on instructional design in Europe.  I was surprised by all of the statistics of Europe that were included.  It shows how hard it must be to implement anything with people from so many different walks of life.  I know that educators also have to interact with students from different backgrounds.  I think it is very important to teach the Golden Rule: treat others how you want to be treated.  If everyone lived by this rule, diversity would be less of a concern in the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. I picked those chapters also. I think that, as educators, we can learn a lot about how to use computers and software more effectively by looking at the simulations that were discussed. I think that some subjects and grade levels have it easier than others in that regard.

    I didn't think about the diversity of people in Europe and how that would be a problem in using technology. There are similar issues here in the US. I may need to go back and read that chapter later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, we might can learn from the diversity in that continent. Very good point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Citations are always important in academic writing, especially blogs since it's more likely someone will read here than pickup a scholarly journal. Get in the habit of using APA citations. Given the lower margins for error in the healthcare field, citations might even be more important when implementing and evaluating ed-tech based learning systems and student learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad AR was a motivating factor for your child at the new school. Most teachers don't give their students opportunities to even get on the computer to use it for that purpose. Must be a very engaging campus.

    ReplyDelete