Thursday, October 13, 2016

New Directions in IDT

What learning goals or objectives could the technologies you selected help learners foster? How can the technology facilitate attainment of that learning goal better than traditional instruction? How soon will you adopt or implement the chosen technology to your instruction or work? How can design concepts or principles apply to your preparation? What would be difficult or challenging, if any, and what is your strategy to resolve or alleviate them?

Web 2.0 and Rich Media

Web 2.0 can be used for networking with other students.  Web 2.0 affords students the ability to do school work outside of the classroom and with other students.  So much information in available on the internet for students to research and learn from.  There are also a ton of educational apps availalbe to engage students.  Using rich media includes using video, animation, and audio. (1)  Incorporating rich media into lessons grabs students attention.  

While using these technologies in the classroom, I believe that learning goals can be better met than just using traditional instruction.  Obviously students learn through traditional instruction.  But, adding Web 2.0 and rich media helps get students involved in the learning process.  Participating in the lesson makes the learning more meaningful.  I know that when I finally have my own classroom or library, both Web 2.0 and rich media will be used regularly.  Traditional lessons would need re-designing to be able to tie in the technologies correctly.  
For the technologies you selected above, discuss how each of those two chapters can apply from this section (e.g., What ethical issues using the technology might present. Does the technology enhance or impose accessibility and accommodate diverse learning needs? How and/or can you design more effective instruction or learning using that technology? How much guidance would instruction with that technology require? What kinds of guidance would be necessary?) 

Ethics is a big deal when implementing technology into the classroom.  Web 2.0 has many more implications that rich media.  With rich media, making sure that it is appropriate for the classroom is important.  Using Web 2.0, such as the internet, requires educators to restrict access to sites other than those necessary for the school work.  I think it is important to teach the students how to safely use the internet.  Also, using Web 2.0 calls for citing all websites that are used.  Therefore, teachers must educate their students on listing references.

Although using technology in the classroom may require more guidance than traditional instruction, I believe it is important to design some lessons around it.  We need to prepare our students for the world outside of the classroom.

1.  Reiser, R. A., & Dempsey, J. V. (2012). Trends and issues in instructional design and technology(3rd edition). United States: Pearson Prentice Hall.

1 comment:

  1. I think you bring up a good point about requiring more guidence when it comes to using technology in the classroom. I've found that many of my students do not know how to use technology effectively. They sure know how to snapchat and put dog faces on their selfies. But they don't have the foggiest idea how to research on the internet. Many of my students are old enough to make adult decisions that have lasting effects on other people's lives: raising children, becoming professionals, voting, etc. There is so much information available to them and a large percentage of it is all bogus or flat out wrong. I think a new layer to what we have to teach as educators is how to sift through the miasma of information to find the real nuggets of truth that are out there.

    I have learned a lot from reading your journal posts these past few weeks. I hope that you continue on with the library/media specialist program and find your own learning space. I think you have a lot to offer the students of whichever school you end up at.

    ReplyDelete