1. Chapters in this section discuss three contrasting
epistemic (the study of what and how we come to know) stances: positivist, relativist, and contextualist (or
hermeneutical). Positivists believe that the only truth or knowledge is
objective truth. Relativists don’t believe that objective truth is possible and
that all knowledge is subjective to perception or relative to a particular
frame of reference. Contextualists believe that truth or knowledge is relative
to context rather than individual, subjective understanding. While designers
and educators with a positivist stance generally apply behaviorist principles
to the design and development of instruction, those with either a contextualist
or relativist epistemological framework employ constructivist theories and
methods. Reflect on whether your stance is primarily positivist, relativist, or
contextualist. Then, identify an instance when your perspective or stance as a
learner conflicted with that of your instructor. Describe the conflict that you
experienced and analyze whether opposing epistemic stances may have been at the
heart of the conflict. How was the situation resolved by you (effectively or ineffectively), and what could/can be done?
After researching the three epistemic stances, I would lean more towards being a relativist. Isn't it all relative?? I believe that knowledge is subject to perception. We all come from different walks of life...this has to have an impact on individual's knowledge. While it is not my personality to have conflict with anyone (especially not a teacher), I believe that many of my teachers from back in high school took a positivist stance. They were strictly by the book! I see where opposing stances could affect a teacher's ability to reach a student. But, as a student, I always just did what I was told and never questioned assignments. :)
2. Various
theories/models of learning and instruction are discussed in multiple
chapters in this section. Which theories/models of learning or
instruction are the primary one(s) you apply to your teaching or you can
relate the best, and why? Then, please pick one project or
instructional unit (briefly describe title, target audience, and
learning goals/objectives) where your designing/teaching or learning was
most successful (or less than successful), and describe which
theory/model or principle(s) from these chapters can be applied to
improve design/teaching or learning.
I have learned about the different theories and models throughout my graduate classes. I would say that I relate to constructivism. Constructivism allows students to produce knowledge based on experiences. It helps students gain confidence to discover answers for themselves.
As I discussed in week 1, I designed a lesson that integrated Quick Response Codes and Sight Words. For this lesson, I had assigned QR Codes that each had an audio clips with 1 sight word. This was primarily for Kindergarten but, the idea could be used for all ages. Each Kindergartener had an iPad with a QR Code reader app. They would go around the classroom and scan the QR codes with the iPad and write the word they hear on the handout. Sight words are learned through repetition which is an example of behaviorism. I do not know if a theory or model could improve the design but, applying constructivism to the lesson would change it up a little. For example, the class could be divided up into groups and make it a group assignment. Then, the students could help one another to determine the answers and get an immediate response versus waiting for the teacher to grade the papers.
Lauren, I think teaching has come along way. These theories are not new, but I believe the teaching profession has changed from when I was in high school as well. I saw most of my teachers as positivist too. This leads to teacher centered instruction and not student centered. It is almost as if there are trends in theories and models.
ReplyDeleteI remember when I first went to graduate school before I took a break and learning about constructivist teaching was new and cutting-edge. At the time, I think we were focusing on "multicultural education" but the main points were the same. I think it is interesting that many of these theories are starting to come back around, especially at the secondary level. Lower elementary grade levels have been creating constructivist classrooms for a long time. I would love to hear from someone who has been teaching for a long time and can compare the "old" teacher-centered approach with student-centered. There have been generations of students that have come out of teacher-centered classrooms and gone on the do great things, but it seems like we can't be considered good teachers if we teach that way anymore.
ReplyDelete