Friday, March 3, 2017

Final Reflection

I can finally take a deep breath and look back on this past semester.  I have been so busy every week frantically researching the assigned Web 2.0 tools while I'm holding down a full time job, raising 3 kids (4 if you count my husband), and completing assignments in my other graduate class.  Needless to say, I am glad this semester is over!!  I have learned a lot about Web 2.0 tools and how they can be used in a learning environment.  Each tool comes with both strengths and weaknesses. 

Using tools in education enable the affordance of collaboration.  This semester alone, a group project was completed with students all over Texas with the use of Google Docs.  As long as everyone has access to the internet, it is easy to share ideas and collaborate.  This brings up one of the negatives of Web 2.0 tools.  When students are using the tools, in order to continue to use them at home, internet connection must be available.  Not every student has internet at home.  Another downside is that it can be difficult to find age appropriate Web 2.0 tools.  Younger children require tools that are simple and easy to use.  Many Web 2.0 tools, such as Twitter, are geared toward older students. 

And then there's the issue of privacy.  Teaching students about the correct way to use the internet and being aware of other users is so important when using Web 2.0 tools.  It's nice that a lot of tools available to use in education have privacy settings.  Invitations are issued in order to see the content and the teacher has the ability to share content, if needed.

In the future, when researching new tools, I will look for certain characteristics that I find important.  These include but are not limited to ease of use, age appropriateness, ability to encourage higher order thinking, and privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment